Company: Microchip Technology
Category: Internet of Things Product of the Year
Microchip’s newest embedded IoT solutions make it possible to develop IoT devices rapidly for a wide range of markets.
Each of the six solutions is designed for ease of use and to aid rapid development for smart industrial, medical, consumer, agriculture and retail applications, with embedded security in mind. The vast selection of connectivity technologies, combined with the wide range of microcontroller and microprocessor performance and peripheral features, makes these solutions scalable across a wide range of markets.
The solutions make it possible to develop a wide range of IoT solutions, based on everything from the smallest PIC® and AVR® microcontrollers (MCUs) for sensors and actuator devices, to the most sophisticated 32-bit MCU and microprocessor (MPU) gateway solutions for edge computing.
Developers can connect to any major core and any major cloud, using Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth® or narrow band 5G technologies – all while maintaining a strong security foundation through the support of Microchip’s Trust Platform for the CryptoAuthentication™ family.
With easily accessible core, connectivity, security, development environment and debug capabilities, all are designed to lower project costs and complexity in development:
- PIC-IoT WA and AVR-IoT WA boards: Two new PIC and AVR MCU development boards with a companion custom built rapid prototyping tool developed in collaboration with Amazon Web Services (AWS), helping designers natively connect IoT sensor nodes to the AWS IoT Core service via Wi-Fi
- Gateway solutions running AWS IoT Greengrass: Based on the latest wireless System On Module (SOM), the ATSAMA5D27-WLSOM1 integrates the SAMA5D2 MPU, WILC3000 Wi-Fi and Bluetooth combo module fully powered by the MCP16502 high performance Power Management IC (PMIC)
- SAM-IoT WG: Connects the Google Cloud IoT Core with Microchip’s popular 32-bit SAM-D21 Arm® Cortex® M0+ range of microcontrollers
- Azure IoT SAM MCU based IoT development platform: Integrates the Azure IoT device SDK and Azure IoT services with Microchip’s MPLAB® X development tools ecosystem
- PIC-BLE and AVR-BLE boards: Two new PIC and AVR MCU boards for sensor node devices that connect to mobile devices for industrial, consumer and security applications and the cloud via gateways featuring Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)
- LTE-M/NB-IoT development kit: Features Monarch chip-based modules by Sequans enabling coverage of IoT nodes and leveraging the latest low power, 5G cellular technology