Test, Measurement & Inspection Product of the Year
Product Name: M9484C VXG Signal Generator
Company: Keysight Technologies
The M9484C VXG is the industry’s first vector signal generator to enable radio frequency (RF) engineers to generate the most demanding test signals for next-generation wireless communications with ultimate performance up to 54 GHz with 2.5 GHz of modulation bandwidth per channel. Keysight uses advanced custom chipsets to implement direct digital synthesis (DDS), delivering exceptional error vector magnitude (EVM) and low distortion at high output power, to overcome excessive path loss experienced at millimeter-wave (mmWave) frequencies.
Featuring up to 4 synchronized and phase-coherent channels per chassis, and more than 32 channels using multiple instruments, the M9484C VXG simplifies complex multiple-input and multiple-output (MIMO) and beamforming test setups. Additionally, the M9484C VXG provides the world’s first 8-virtual-signal emulation per RF channel to greatly simplify and streamline complex receiver test scenarios.
RF engineers need a test solution that can quickly and easily validate their devices and ensure their designs meet the latest standards and test requirements. In the past they needed to connect multiple signal generators together introducing a lot of signal impairments due long signal paths and extra cabling. With the M9484C VXG, testing 5G base stations and user equipment, satellite system designs, and radar applications across a wide range of frequencies, up to and including the mmWave spectrum, can now be done in a single instrument with the lowest phase noise and accurate repeatable results.
Testing these applications requires signal generation equipment capable of creating mmWave signals at extremely high bandwidth. These new applications also adopt multi-antenna techniques, such as spatial diversity, spatial multiplexing, and beamforming for high-throughput and robust communications. The M9484C VXG is also future proof to test ever-evolving standards with frequency support up to 110 GHz using Keysight’s V3080A frequency extender.
The M9484C VXG signal generator enables RF engineers to generate high-frequency, wide-channel bandwidth signals in multiple coherent channels. These capabilities, combined with the spectral purity and real-time signal processing, make addressing multichannel test requirements in 5G, SatCom, and radar applications simple and fast. This product’s unique capabilities enable engineers to:
• Perform MIMO real-time fading for all 3GPP 5G NR base station conformance tests with PathWave Signal Generation software.
• Optimize measurement integrity and minimize measurement uncertainty by generating signals with a fully integrated, calibrated, and synchronized multichannel signal generation solution.
• Innovate designs that enable higher frequencies, wider bandwidths, and multichannel applications, and ensure they meet the latest and evolving standard test requirements.
• Simplify measurement setup and complex calibration routines associated with multi-box solutions with a one-box approach. This saves time and reduces measurement errors related to changing equipment configuration and cabling.
• Eliminate signal impairments caused by traditional analog I/Q modulators with a new DDS architecture and deliver advanced signal fidelity for wideband signal generation.
• Test multi-antenna applications such as MIMO and beamforming with precise phase coherence and timing synchronization.
Keysight’s new M9484C VXG signal generator, powered by custom, state-of-the art, chip technology, delivers a level of performance unmatched in the industry and will help RF engineers continue to innovate in wireless communications.